Search


Noteworthy Cities and Towns


Browse by Topics


Point Fortin

The 1783 Cedula of Population was ultimately responsible for the naming of Point Fortin, since the area took the name of a Frenchman, Fortin, who settled there under that law.  When the British arrived in 1797, they did not disturb the functioning of Fortin's sugar-cane estate.  With the abolition of slavery, the agriculture industry went into decline and so did the whole region, until the late 1800s when crops like cocoa and coconuts revived the industry and the Point Fortin area.

More changes were to come, however - in 1906, a geologist, Arthur Beeby-Thompson, found oil at Guayaguayare and the rest, as they say, is history.  Point Fortin grew into an oil town.  It rode the wave of opulence during the 1990's oil boom and withstood the economic ravages of the subsequent recession.  The area still shines brightly today as an oil and natural gas hub, home to the Atlantic LNG plant as well as other oil and gas company headquarters.


Did You Know

Before the arrival of the Spanish, the Carib people called Trinidad "The Land of the Hummingbird".

Kid Zone

Learn about Trinidad and Tobago while having fun, especially for children. Visit Kids zone >