Getting Married

Marriage is the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.  The couple is formally recognized as husband and wife through the legal, religious and social processes attached to marriage.  There are four kinds of marriages recognised in Trinidad and Tobago:

  • Civil Marriage
  • Hindu Marriage
  • Muslim Marriage
  • Orisa Marriage

Civil, Muslim and Orisa marriages must be performed by a licensed Marriage Officer.  Marriage Officers are ordained ministers of a recognized religious denomination or organization.  Civil marriage is the most common form of marriage in Trinidad and Tobago and can be performed by a Marriage Officer, Warden or the Registrar General.  All Christian marriages performed in a church are civil marriages, provided the presiding minister is a licensed Marriage Officer.  Please contact the Registrar General for information on Muslim, Hindu and Orisa marriages.


You must be 18 years of age to marry in Trinidad and Tobago. Additional information can be obtained from the Miscellaneous Provisions (Marriage) Act, No.8 of 2017.

How do I arrange a Civil Marriage?

Couples wanting to get married must first give Notice of Marriage in person at a Civil Registry office.  This includes those who wish to get married through a religious ceremony in a church.  Please follow the link below for Civil Registry office locations.


If you are subject to Immigration Control you must contact the Registrar General at (868) 624-1660 as you will require permission to marry in this country.


Before giving Notice of Marriage you must:

  • Make an appointment to give notice in person at the registrar's office.
  • Know the venue for your marriage, such as a registrar's office, church or other location.

You need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Permission to marry if you are not a National of Trinidad & Tobago.
  • Evidence of identity - such as a National ID Card, Driver's Permit or Passport.
  • Proof of address - such as a utility bill.

At least seven days must have elapsed from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place.  The notice is valid for one year.


Civil Registry offices

back to top

Have you been married before?

If you have been married before, evidence that the marriage has ended will need to be seen (i.e. original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate, if your spouse has died).

back to top

How do I apply for a marriage certificate?

Applicants can apply for a Marriage Certificate through a Vital Events Online Application Service or can schedule an online marriage certificate appointment, please be prepared to provide:
  • Your name.
  • Bride and groom names for the (online application service)
  • Place of marriage for the (online application service)
  • A valid credit card (online application service only)
  • A contact number 
  • Your identification number in the form of either:
    • Your National ID number
    • Your driver's permit number
    • Passport
  • Your area of residence
  • A frequently used email address
  • Your preferred Ministry of Legal Affairs Office location. You can select from offices in:
    • Port of Spain
    • Arima
    • San Fernando
    • Tobago

back to top

What fees do I need to pay?

  • Marriage license - TT$62.50 (You must also pay an additional TT$25.00 the Marriage Certificate at the time of registration for the marriage license)
  • Marriage Certificate $25.00 
  • Convenience fee - for a marriage certificate and registered post - $3.16 TTD 
  • Delivery via registered post within Trinidad and Tobago - $23.00 TTD

(Overseas delivery cost will vary depending on the delivery destination.)

back to top

Advice to foreign nationals

When either or both parties to the marriage are not citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, they should contact the Registrar General's Office before giving Notice of Marriage.


Getting married in Trinidad and Tobago or to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago gives no automatic right to remain or reside in the country.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information on Civil Marriages, or for information on Muslim, Hindu or Orisa marriages, please contact:


Registrar General’s Department
Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs (AGLA) Tower 
Corner London and Richmond Streets
Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 223-2452
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:15 pm, Monday to Thursday and 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on Fridays, with cashiers closing at 3:00 pm daily

Registrar General’s Department
Caroline Building No.2 
#11 Hamilton Street 
Scarborough, Tobago
Tel: (868) 639-3210
       (868) 639-1330
Fax: (868) 639-2628

Ministry of Attorney General and Legal Affairs

back to top