> Citizens > A Person with a Disability

Legal Aid

The Legal Aid & Advisory Authority is a unit of the Ministry of Justice that provides legal advice and representation to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who may not be able to afford the services of an attorney.

Am I eligible for Legal Aid?

Members of the public can visit any one of the nine offices of the Authority, pay a fee of TT$50.00 and obtain legal advice. If you are applying for Legal Aid, a Legal Officer will conduct an interview to determine your eligibility.


In matters before the Magistrates Court or in criminal proceedings before the High Court or Court of Appeal, a magistrate or a judge must decide if a defendant is eligible for legal aid or representation.  In High Court Civil matters, eligibility for legal aid is based on the applicant's means (disposable income and capital) as well as the merits of the matter, as laid out by the provisions of the Legal Aid and Advice Act.

back to top

Is Legal Aid free?

There is a TT$5.00 application fee for Legal Aid, which is waived for old age pensioners and other persons in receipt of social welfare benefits. Legal representation is provided free of charge.


The Authority in all cases pays the attorney assigned to represent a legal aid applicant.  However, a small contribution can be requested by the Authority in Civil High Court Matters.

back to top

How do I apply for Legal Aid?

To apply for legal aid, you must visit one of the legal aid offices, and: 

  • Fill out a form providing basic information about yourself and the nature of the problem.
  • You will then be interviewed by the Legal Officer to determine your eligibility for Legal Aid.
  • If you are not eligible you will be given legal advice and referred to a private attorney.
  • If eligible, an application form will be given to you. This form is an affidavit and requires that you go before the Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner of Affidavits to swear to the information you provide is true and correct.
  • In the case of civil actions, the application form must be returned together with requested documents to the office from where it was obtained. You will be interviewed by an investigator who will prepare a report on your matter.
  • This report will be considered by the Authority at its monthly meeting and you will be informed in writing whether or not Legal Aid has been granted.
  • If the matter is in the Magistrates Court or Criminal High Court, the application forms are sent to the relevant Courts where the request for Legal Aid is considered by a Magistrate or Judge.

You must sign that your application is true.  It is an offence to obtain legal aid with false information.

back to top

Will an experienced lawyer represent me?

The Legal Aid and Advisory Authority works alongside Attorneys in private practice who have agreed to represent applicants via the Legal Aid system, so the same Attorneys are available to Legal Aid recipients as one would approach in private practice.

back to top

Where are the offices located?

Office Location


 Telephone No.

 Legal Officer on Duty


Port of Spain

(Head Office)

1st and 3rd Floors, T&T Manufacturers Association (TTMA) Building

No. 42, 10th Avenue

Barataria (East of the Barataria Roundabout)

(868) 638- 5222 (LAAA)
674-6272, 674-0109, 675-4079

Monday to Friday

San Fernando

No. 6, Harris Street,

San Fernando

(868) 652 1931

(868) 652 1984, 653 8860

Monday to Friday


Pennywise Building,

10-10A, Devenish Street,


(868) 667 3651

Monday to Friday


CARIBANA Building,

Bacolet Street,


(868) 635 0779, 639 2546

Monday to Friday


Couva Social Services Centre,

Camden Road,


(868) 679 5146

Monday to Friday

back to top

Can I appeal if Legal Aid is not approved?

There is no formal appeal mechanism.  In Civil High Court matters, the decision to grant Legal Aid is based on the provisions of the Legal Aid and Advice Act and on the merits of the case.  If Legal Aid is refused in such matters, you will be informed in writing as to the reasons for the refusal.  You are free to come in and discuss the matter with a Legal Officer. 


In Criminal and Magistrates Court matters the decision for aid is strictly up to a Magistrate or Judge before whom the application is brought.  In most cases however, in the interest of justice, legal aid is granted.

back to top

Where can I obtain additional information?

Legal Aid and Advisory Unit

Head Office

Corner Oxford and Edward Streets

Port of Spain

Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 625-0454/3215
Opening hours:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays

back to top