Registering for VAT

Value Added Tax, or VAT, is applied to both goods and services in Trinidad and Tobago and is included in the final price of the product.  VAT is charged at a rate of 12.5%.  VAT-registered businesses must collect VAT from customers, submit VAT returns and pay any VAT that they owe to the Inland Revenue Division of the Ministry of Finance.   VAT-registered businesses can deduct any VAT that they pay when purchasing goods and services for the business from the VAT that they collect from customers.  If the amount of VAT that a business pays is more than they collect, the Inland Revenue Division will refund the balance.

Who has to register for VAT?

Individuals or businesses that sell goods or services worth TT$500,000.00 or more in a twelve-month period must register for VAT.  Individuals and businesses must also register if they forecast sales of TT$500,000.00 or more in a twelve-month period.
Registered individuals or businesses that cease trading, dispose of or transfer their business must apply for Cancellation of VAT Registration.  This also applies to individuals or businesses that no longer generate revenues above the threshold amount of TT$500,000.00.


back to top

How do I register?

VAT Registration can be completed either via TTBizLink or manually.
Manual Process 
You must complete a VAT registration form and submit supporting documents to the Inland Revenue Division at the address below.  Sole proprietors must fill in the VAT 1 Form.  Companies and partnerships must fill in the VAT 1 and VAT 2 Forms.  Please follow the link at the end of the next section to download the application forms.  All applicants will be interviewed and are required to produce some form of identification at the interview.  The following documents must be submitted with your application:

Sole Proprietors

1) Completed VAT 1 application form
2) Certificate of Registration of Business Name if using a trading name
3) Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) file number
4) Projected Income Statement for the next 12 months signed and dated by the preparer or owner
5) Evidence to substantiate that the business intends to make commercial sales of TT$500,000.00 during the coming year.  This could be in the form of a sales forecast


1) Completed VAT 1 application form signed by a partner
2) Completed VAT 2 application form, with the names, home addresses and signatures of all partners
3) If there is a partnership name other than the names of the individual partners, the certificate of registration of business name issued by the Registrar General's Office
4) Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) File Number for the partnership
5) Projected Income Statement for the next 12 months (signed and dated by preparer/owner) to show that the business intends to make over TT$500,000.00 in commercial supplies in the year following its VAT Registration

Limited Liability Companies

1) A letter of representation, where the company is represented by someone other than the Directors, i.e. a third party who must have proper identification
2) Completed VAT 1 application form signed by a director
3) Completed VAT 2 application form, with the names, home addresses and signatures of all directors
4) B.I.R. and P.A.Y.E. File number
5) Certificate of Incorporation or Certificate of Continuance
6) Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Continuance
7) Notice of Directors or Notice of Change of Directors
8) Notice of Address or Notice of Change of registered office
9) Cash flow projection for 12 months - signed and dated by a director or the Company's Accountant
10) Evidence of commencement of business e.g. sales/income invoices, contracts, customs documents, purchases/expenses or bank statements
11) Statement of actual gross sales/income to date - signed and dated by the Company's Director or Accountant
12) List of assets of the business and proof of ownership
13) Name and address of banker
14) Accountant's name, address and contact numbers
15) Major customers' names, addresses and contact numbers

To de-register, a request must be made in writing indicating the date the business has ceased trading or that the business' annual revenue no longer exceeds TT$500,000.00, and is requesting de-registration.  Please follow the link at the end of the next section to download the de-registration form.

You must first register for a ttconnect ID and complete a TTBizLink registration which would enable your access to the e-Company Registration module on the Single Electronic Window (SEW) Portal.  Clients are encouraged to utilize the reengineered ttconnect ID processes which have been automated for increased client convenience.  
Applicants can apply for a VAT Registration Number on TTBizLink by following these steps:


Step 1 - Login to TTBizLink with your ttconnect ID and password.
Step 2 - Submit your application via the Board of Inland Revenue module of TTBizLink. (Please click on the relevant instruction link to ensure that you submit your application correctly.  Instructions for each application type are found on the navigation bar on the left of the page)
Step 3 - The application is automatically routed to the Registration Unit of the Ministry of Finance for processing. 
Step 4 - Once Registration Unit receives the application an acknowledgment email will be sent and the status would be updated to reflect this.
Step 5 – The applicant will be notified via email to inform them on whether or not the application was successful.
Step 6 - Once successful, the applicant would be required to walk with originals of all uploaded documents for collection of the VAT Advisory letter.

back to top

Where do I register?

Manual application forms and supporting documentation should be submitted to:
VAT Registration Unit
Inland Revenue Division
Ministry of Finance
Government Campus Plaza
2-4 Ajax Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 623-1211/4 Option 2
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Forms for VAT Tax registration or de-registration


back to top

How much does it cost?

There are no fees charged for registration or de-registration.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

You can find more information by visiting the Inland Revenue Divisions website by following the link below, or contact the VAT Registration Unit at the address above.


Inland Revenue Division

back to top