Importing Meat Products

Importers of meat and meat products, excluding poultry, are required to obtain a Meat Products Inspection Certificate prior to the importation of meat products.  The Meat Products Inspection Certificate confirms that the product is suitable for consumption and allows for the importation of meat and meat products into Trinidad and Tobago with minimal risk to the animal and human populations. Poultry is not included under these regulations. Please follow the link in the Related Services section on the left of your screen for poultry importation guidelines. Persons importing meat or meat products in amounts classified as personal allowances do not have to apply for permits but must have evidence of the country of origin. Products should be in original packages, bearing inspection marks of the veterinary authority of the country of origin.

What steps should I follow in order to import?

A trader must obtain Permit Approvals before importing or exporting certain classes of goods. The application must be made before the import or export of the goods. Failure to do so may result in fines or forfeiture of goods 

Please note the following:

  1. When completing an application, the item description must be accurate and specific
  2. If items are different in nature they must be included on separate applications. 
  3. Where a license has expired, a new application for a licence must be submitted

The importer should:

  • Obtain a Meat Products Inspection Certificate (Import Permit).
  • Apply for a license to import from the Ministry of Trade and Industry. Please see the link below for more information on applying for an import license.
  • Pay Customs and Excise duties on the meat product. Please contact the Customs and Excise Division of the Ministry Finance, at Tel. (868) 635-3311, for more information on paying Customs duties.
  • Have the items inspected for wholesomeness by the Chemistry, Food and Drug Division of the Ministry of Health. Please see the link below for more information on the Chemistry, Food and Drugs Division.

Food and Drug Inspection

Applying for an Import Licence


back to top

Are there any other requirements?

The meat or meat product must be from a country that is free of any disease associated with the specific item.  For example, beef can only be imported from a country free of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow) and Foot and Mouth diseases.

back to top

What documents do I need to apply for a permit?

To apply for a permit, importers are required to submit the invoices and health certificate from the country of origin. First time applicants should provide a company letter along with the application form for the import permit.

back to top

How do I apply for an import permit?

To apply for an Import Permit, you must first register for a ttconnect ID and complete a TTBizLink registration which would enable your access to the ePermits and Licences - Trader module on the Single Electronic Window (SEW) Portal.
Clients are encouraged to utilize the 
reengineered ttconnect ID processes which have been automated for increased client convenience.


To apply for an Import Permit using TTBizLink please follow these steps:

Step 1: Login to TTBizLink with your ttconnect ID and password

Step 2 – Click on the e-Permits and Licences (Subscribed) link.  The link will be highlighted in red once the role is subscribed  

Step 3 – Click on New Application and submit your completed application (Please click on the relevant instruction link to ensure that you submit your application correctly.  Instructions for each application type are found on the navigation bar on the left of the page)

Step 4 – The submitted application is routed to the relevant approving agency for review and approval

Step 5 – Upon approval of the application, the approving agency makes a decision on whether to approve or reject the application

Step 6 – The applicant is notified via email of the decision taken by the Agency.  (Once approved the applicant is also notified how the permit will be issued; electronically or in person)

back to top

What fees do I need to pay?

The cost of the import permit is TT$10.00.  Cash payments are not accepted.  A cashier is available for payments at the office of the Chief Veterinary Officer at the address above.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information please contact the relevant approving agency below:

Ministry of Trade and Industry 
Trade Licence Unit 
Ground Floor, TTMA Building, #42 Tenth Avenue, Barataria, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Phone :(868) 674-3545 or (868) 675-8242 
Fax: (868) 675-5465 
PBX: (868)638-9151

Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries
Animal Production and Health Division
80 Abercromby St.
Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 625-5997/1473
Fax: (868) 625-5993/4

Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries 
Plant Quarantine Services
Centeno Tel/Fax: (868) 642-0718
Piarco Tel: (868) 669-4860
Curepe Tel: (868) 766-5116
Point Lisas Tel: (868) 636-0883
Scarborough Tel: (868) 639-5582
ANR Robinson Airport Tel: (868) 639-0634
Fax: (868) 625-6049


back to top