Applying for a Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) File Number and Pay as you Earn (PAYE) Number

All employees, sole traders, partnerships and companies are legally obligated to register for a Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) file number to be used in payment of taxes and filing of returns. This number must be quoted on all correspondence to the Board of Inland Revenue. A Pay as you Earn (PAYE) number must be obtained by all companies and sole traders who hire employees. The PAYE number is used to remit taxes withheld from employees' earnings in accordance with the PAYE System. These numbers must be utilised for the duration of the life of the individual or company.

How do I apply?

Applying for an Individual BIR Number
You can request a BIR number via the Board of Inland Revenue’s Non-Logged In Service section on their e-Tax portal or fill out an application form and return it, together with supporting documentation, to one of the offices of the Board of Inland Revenue. 

Applying for a Company BIR File Number and Pay as You Earn Number (PAYE)

Companies and partnerships can apply via TTBizLink to obtain Company BIR and Pay as You Earn (PAYE) numbers either:
Manually by submitting the completed AOI002 Form and a valid form of identification for every Director of the company
Via TTBizLink.  You must first register for a ttconnect ID and complete a TTBizLink registration which would enable your access to the e-Permits and Licences- Trader module on the Single Electronic Window (SEW) Portal.
Clients are encouraged to utilize the reengineered ttconnect ID processes which have been automated for increased client convenience.  

Applicants can apply for a Company BIR Number on TTBizLink by following these steps:

Step 1 - Login to TTBizLink with your ttconnect ID and password.

Step 2 - Submit your application via the Board of Inland Revenue module of TTBizLink. (Please click on 
               the relevant instruction link to ensure that you submit your application correctly.  Instructions 
               for each application type are found on the navigation bar on the left of the page)

Step 3 - The application is automatically routed to the Board of Inland Revenue for processing. 

Step 4 - Once BIR receives the application an acknowledgment email will be sent and the status would  
               be updated to reflect this.

Step 5 - BIR will contact the applicant via email to inform them on whether or not the application 
              was successful.

Step 6 - Once successful, the applicant would be required to walk with originals of all uploaded 
              documents for collection of the BIR File No. assignment or Vat number assignment letter.

Please note: For manual applications companies and partnerships use Section B and Section C forms; individuals and sole traders use the Section A Form.  Application forms can be obtained by clicking the link below or at any of the Board of Inland Revenue Offices, between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.  
Application form for individuals (Form IA, Section A)
Application form for partnerships (Form AOI, Section B - For Applicants Other Than Individuals)
(Form DP, Section C - Names and Addresses of all Directors or Members)

back to top

What documents do I need?

The following documents must be submitted with your completed application form:

  1. Original & copy of the Certificate of Incorporation / Registration.
  2. Name & File Numbers of Directors.
  3. Original & Copy of Notice of Directors.
  4. Original and Copy of Notice of Addresses.
  5. Outstanding returns (if applicable).

Self-Employed Individuals and Sole Traders:

  1. Original & copy of Certificate of Registration (if applicable).
  2. Original and copy of national identification (ID card, passport or driver's permit).
  3. Outstanding returns (if applicable).

Individual Employees:

  1. Original and copy of national identification (ID card, passport or driver's permit).
  2. Letter from employer indicating effective date of employment and salary, or TD4 Certificate (this is issued by your employer) for prior years.
  3. Outstanding returns (if applicable).


  1. Name and addresses of each partner.
  2. Evidence of BIR numbers for each partner - Original and Copy of Certificate of Registration, and/or Partnership agreement.
  3. Outstanding returns (if applicable).

back to top

How much does it cost?

There is no fee for this service.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For further information please contact:

Ministry of Finance 
Registration Unit
Inland Revenue Division
Government Campus 
2-4 Ajax Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 800 – 8299 (TAXX) 
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays

Inland Revenue Division

Board of Inland Revenue Office



back to top

What fees do I need to pay?

There are no fees associated with this application process.

back to top