Arrest and Detention of Trinidad and Tobago Nationals Abroad

One of the most important functions of Trinidad and Tobago Overseas Mission is to ensure that the rights of nationals who are arrested or imprisoned abroad are fully respected.  If you are arrested, in many cases the local Authorities will contact the Trinidad and Tobago Overseas Mission only if you specifically ask them to do so.

When the Mission is informed of the arrest or imprisonment of a Trinidad and Tobago national, it will respond immediately and provide all possible consular assistance.  However, you must comply with local laws and regulations when travelling or living in a foreign country.  The Trinidad and Tobago Government and its officials cannot intervene in the justice system or law courts of other countries.

What should I do if I am arrested?

  • Request to speak to an official of the Trinidad and Tobago Mission or Consulate.
  • If you need to find a lawyer or contact family members, ask the authorities to contact the nearest Trinidad and Tobago Mission.  You have the right under international law to speak with a consular representative.
  • Do not sign any statement or document without seeking legal advice, especially if it is in a language you do not understand.  

back to top

What can the Trinidad and Tobago Mission do?

If you are arrested in a foreign country, the Trinidad and Tobago Mission or Consular Officer can do the following:

  • Provide you with list of local lawyers and provide information about local legal aid;
  • inform next-of-kin or other relatives or friends of your arrest and seek financial assistance from them, if you request this;
  • arrange for the transfer of funds from family or friends for payment of bail or other legal expenses.


However, please note that the Trinidad and Tobago Mission or Consular Officer cannot:

  • Select a lawyer;
  • provide legal advice;
  • get you released from detention or imprisonment;
  • pay legal fees, fines or bail;
  • secure better treatment for Trinidad and Tobago nationals than local or other nationals receive;
  • interfere with or influence the local justice system;
  • provide any financial assistance while you are in prison.  

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information, or if you require any form of assistance, please contact the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy, High Commission or Consulate nearest to you. Please follow the link below for a list of Trinidad and Tobago Overseas Missions. The Consular staff will be pleased to help you in any way they can.


Trinidad and Tobago Embassies, High Commissions, Consulates and Honorary Consuls

back to top