Joining the Trinidad and Tobago Cadet Force
The Trinidad and Tobago Cadet Force is the oldest existing organisation for young people in Trinidad and Tobago. Training in the Cadet Force is based on the Army Proficiency Certificate Four Star Syllabus and emphasises military training and discipline with the objective of transforming young people into productive, caring citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. This type of training also makes the Cadet Force an invaluable source of recruits for the protective services and the Defence Force.
Cadet Force Companies are based in 40 secondary schools throughout the country. In addition, there are five Specialist Units within the Cadet Force where cadets can learn:
The Trinidad and Tobago Cadet Force functions under the authority of the Ministry of National Security.
- Naval skills, including rope work, water exercises, and water safety (Naval Unit).
- Food preparation and the culinary arts (Messing Unit).
- Piloting skills, including ground and navigational training (Air Cadet Unit).
- Paramedical skills (Paramedical Unit).
- Music (Cadet Force Band).
Am I eligible?
Both secondary school students and adults may apply to join the Cadet Force. Students can apply to join a Cadet Company at another school if no Company is established at the school they are attending.
As a secondary school student, you are eligible to join as a Cadet if you are:
- A citizen or legal resident of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Enrolled in a government, government-assisted, or private secondary school in Trinidad or Tobago.
- Between 12 and 19 years of age.
As an adult, you are eligible to join as a Commissioned or Warrant (Non-Commissioned) Officer if you:
- Are a citizen or legal resident of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Have successfully completed your secondary education, with passes in English and at least two other subjects.
- Are 19 years of age or older.
- Recommended by two citizens of Trinidad and Tobago.
back to top
How do I apply?
If you are a secondary school student, please follow these steps to apply:
- Obtain a student application form from the Cadet Force Recruiting Officer who visits your school.
- Complete the application form and have it signed by your parent or guardian and the Principal of your school.
- If you are applying to join Cadets at another school, have the form signed by the Principal of that school.
- Return your completed and signed form to the Cadet Force Recruiting Officer on the designated day.
If you are an adult, please follow these steps to apply:
Cadet Force Adult Application Form
- Obtain an adult application form by following the link below. You may also obtain a form from the Cadet Force Division address at the bottom of this page.
- Complete the application form and sign it.
Return your completed and signed form to the Cadet Force Division address at the bottom of this page.
back to top
Are there any associated fees?
There is no application fee to join the Cadet Force.
back to top
Where can I find more information?
For more information, please visit the Cadet Force website at the link below. You may also contact the administration office of the Cadet Force.Trinidad and Tobago Cadet Force website
The Cadet Force Division
31-33 Abercromby Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 623-2441-5
Fax. (868) 627-8044 or (868) 623-2154
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.
back to top