Adult Education

Adult Education is any organised educational programme that provides opportunities for adults or out-of-school youth who have not graduated to further their education.


Educational opportunities exist in the areas of:


  • Remedial education, to enable students to successfully write the Primary School Leaving Certificate Examinations.
  • Introductory occupational courses, to provide basic practical training to unemployed adults who are out of school.
  • Literacy programmes, to address illiteracy problems through new initiatives in educational planning and development.
  • Family life education, to develop an understanding of the family and how it is influenced by and contributes to society.
  • Leisure-time programmes.

Can I enrol?

You can enrol in adult education courses if you are:


  • A citizen of Trinidad and Tobago.
  • At least 15 years of age.

There are no previous educational qualifications required to enrol in an adult education course.

back to top

How do I enrol?

At a minimum, you will need proof of your identity in order to enrol in an Adult Education course.  In general, proof can be provided in the form of a National Identification (ID) card, Driver's Permit or Passport issued by the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.


Each Adult Education Centre has a specific enrolment process. You will need to provide proof of identity by showing your National Identification (ID) card, driver's permit or passport. Please contact the Centre offering the course in which you want to enrol to determine what other documents you might need and what their enrolment process is.  Contact information for adult education centres can be viewed below.

back to top

Where can I get more information?

More information can be obtained from the Adult Education Unit of the Ministry of Education. The Adult Education Unit office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.

Adult Education Unit
55-57 St. Vincent Street 
Port of Spain 
623-2608 ext. 1241-1242 

back to top