Registration of Farmers

Individuals and businesses involved in crop or livestock farming are required to register with the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries. Individuals and businesses must be registered in order to access incentives and other benefits offered by the Government. It is a legal requirement that persons trading or dealing in agricultural produce over 25 kilograms (kg) be registered. Registration also enables the Ministry to provide better services to farmers.

How do I register as a farmer?

To register as a farmer, you must complete an application form for registration as a farmer either as an individual or as an organization. Application forms can be obtained from an agricultural county office or by clicking on the relevant links below. The form must be completed and submitted, together with the documents listed in the section below, to the nearest agricultural county office. Please follow the link below for a list of county offices.



Farmer's Registration Form - Individual

Farmer's Registration Form - Organizations

back to top

What documents do I need to register as a farmer?

One form of proof of Trinidad and Tobago citizenship (electoral ID card, passport, naturalisation certificate).

  • Two passport-sized photos.
  • Proof of interest in land (original and copy of land tax, deed or lease).
  • If applying for renewal, the application must provide the existing farmer's ID number.

 Agribusinesses must be registered in Trinidad and Tobago and are required to submit the following:

  • Certificate of Incorporation (original and copy).
  • Land taxes (recent original and copy).
  • Land Deed or Lease Agreement (original and copy).
  • Value Added Tax (VAT) registration letter (original and copy if the business is VAT-registered).
  • Letter of Authorisation (original).
  • Listing of the Board of Directors/Memorandum.
  • Two passport-size photos.
  • One valid form of identification (electoral ID card, passport, naturalisation certificate, driver's permit).

 Agricultural vendors must be at least 18 years of age and are required to submit:

  • Receipt from Warden's Office (Inland Revenue) at a cost of TT$10.00.
  • Two passport-sized photos.
  • One valid form of identification (electoral ID card, passport, naturalisation certificate, driver's permit).

The documents to be submitted showing land ownership or proof of interest in land vary depending on the particular circumstance:

  • Privately owned land.
  • "Permission to use" privately owned land.
  • State lease.
  • State occupied.


back to top

How do I register as a beekeeper?

To register as a beekeeper or the owner of an apiary, you should contact the beekeeping officer at the agricultural county office in the area in which you reside.  Follow the link at the end of this section to find a list of county office locations.


The documents required for registration include:

  • Proof of ownership of land (deed, rent receipt or lease agreement).
  • Two passport-sized photos.
  • One valid form of identification (electoral ID card, passport, naturalisation certificate, driver's permit).

The beekeeping officer will conduct an interview and basic evaluation to assess the beekeeper's knowledge on the subject area.  If the evaluation is successful and full documentation is provided, a site visit is arranged.

 During the site visit the inspecting officer will determine if the site meets the legal requirements and considers factors such as the availability of forage.  The law requires that all apiaries be at least 200 metres from the closest residence or institution (e.g. schools, community centres, or other public buildings) and at least 100 metres from the nearest public road.

The inspecting officer will recommend the site be registered if it meets all requirements and will forward the registration request to the Inspector of Apiaries for approval. Once the request is approved, the apiary certificate and number are issued.

Renewals are done automatically on annual basis, unless the site is deemed no longer suitable for beekeeping.

Registered beekeepers can access incentives provided by the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries.


For more information on registering as a beekeeper, contact the nearest agricultural county office or visit the website of the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries.

Agriculture County Offices
Agricultural Incentives

back to top

When will I be registered as a farmer?

A site visit is conducted by an agricultural office to verify the information on the application.  A report is submitted and a farmer registration number is assigned.

 A Farmer Identification Card (FID) is issued to the applicant within three weeks of submitting an application. Farmers without legal tenure are issued buff (off-white) coloured cards and are not entitled to access agricultural incentives.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information please contact the agricultural county office nearest you, or visit the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries website.

Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries website
Agriculture County Offices

back to top






Forms and Other Downloads

back to top