Wildlife and Hunting Licences and Permits

The Conservation of Wildlife Act of Trinidad and Tobago requires that special permits be obtained by the public for hunting, research and zoological purposes involving the use of wild animals or plant life. There are several different licenses that can be applied for, depending on the type of activity being undertaken.


State Game Licence

A State Game Licence is required for the hunting of wild and protected animals. The hunting season runs from 1st October to the end of February each year. Permits are issued annually from 15th September until the end of the hunting season. Licence holders are required to surrender their hunting permits by 31st May in order to avoid being fined. The following information must be provided when applying for the State Game License:


  • Name and address of hunter
  • One valid form of identification (passport, National Identification Card, driver's permit)

back to top

Special Game Licence

A Special Game Licence is required for the use of wildlife in research activities. The following information is required:


  • Name of species and quantities needed.
  • Purpose for which the licence is requested.
  • Letter confirming the applicant's affiliation with a bona fide institution.
  • Two page proposal of area of research.

back to top

Permit to Enter a Prohibited Area (for the purpose of turtle-viewing)

Viewing of the nesting leatherback turtles at Matura and Grand Riviere is permitted during the nesting season which runs from March to August annually. Local and foreign visitors, researchers, film production companies and educational institutions are required to obtain a permit, which allows access to these nesting locations.


Some tour operators may offer this permit at the venue, but it is advised that the permit be obtained prior to arrival at the location, due to restrictions placed on the number of viewers who can gain entry at each viewing session. The following information should be provided when applying for the permit:


  • Name, address and age of each member of your group.
  • One valid form of identification for the group leader.


Guide services are offered by authorized members of Community Based Organizations in the area. Tours can be arranged by contacting the Grand Riviere Tour Guide Association at (868) 670-4257 or Nature Seekers Inc. at (868) 668-7337 for Matura tours.

back to top

Permit to Keep Protected Species

A Permit to Keep Protected Species should be obtained by any individual, business or institution seeking to keep a protected species. The following information must be provided:


  • Name and address of applicant.
  • Written justification for possessing such species.
  • Specifications of housing - size and type of accommodation.
  • Proof of domesticity - receipt of purchase, CITES Import permit.

back to top

Export Licence

A Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Export Permit must be obtained prior to exporting any wild animals or plants from Trinidad and Tobago. The animal (or plant) must be brought in for inspection, and the following information should be provided:


  • Species, quantities and country of origin.
  • Purpose for which animal (or plant) is being exported.
  • Name of exporter and consignee.
  • Date of export.
  • Copy of CITES Import Permit (for species not originally from Trinidad and Tobago).


Please follow the link below for more information on importing animals.

Import Permits for Animals and Poultry

back to top

How do I apply?

All applications must be made in person or in writing. There are no application forms to be completed, with the exception of applications for Permits to Keep Protected Species. An application form for this permit can be obtained from the office of the Wildlife Section or by following the link below. Completed forms or written applications are to be delivered to your nearest office location.


A list of office locations that accept applications for the various forestry permits and licences can be found by following the link located at the end of this section. Residents of Tobago should apply to:


The Department of Natural Resources and the Environment
78 Wilson Road
Scarborough, Tobago
Tel. (868) 639-2273
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.

Wildlife, Hunting and Forestry Office Locations

back to top

What fees do I need to pay?

  • State Game Licences costs TT$20.00 each for a maximum of five persons.
  • Single entry Turtle Viewing Permits cost TT$5.00 per adult and TT$2.00 per child under 12 years, for a maximum of 20 persons.
  • Multiple entry Turtle Viewing Permits cost TT$50.00 per adult and TT$20.00 per child under 12 years, for a maximum of 20 persons. Multiple entry permits are valid throughout the nesting season.


All other licences and permits are issued free of charge.

back to top

How long does it take to obtain a licence or permit?

The State Game Licence, Export Licence and Turtle Viewing Permit are issued immediately. The Special Game Licence requires three to five days for processing and the Permit to Keep Protected Animals can be collected within ten to 20 working days from verification of the application.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For additional information, please contact any of the following offices:


The Wildlife Section
29 Farm Road
St. Joseph, Trinidad
Tel. (868) 662-5114
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, except public holidays.


The Forestry Information Unit
Long Circular Road
St. James, Trinidad
Tel (868) 622-3217
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.


back to top