Financial Support for Home Construction

Ministry of Housing and Urban Development offers assistance to individuals who own land and cannot afford a mortgage to construct a home.  The Beneficiary Owned Land Programme is funded by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and provides financial aid to persons who are in legal possession of residential land and wish to construct a home, but are unable to do so due to the inability to qualify for a mortgage, as a result of limited financial means. Successful applicants are given a lump sum amount to assist with obtaining a mortgage. This amount does not need to be repaid; however, persons in receipt of this subsidy are required to pay all fees applied by the mortgage company. The subsidy reduces the cost of acquiring a mortgage from a financial institution, making it possible for persons to qualify. 

Am I eligible?

The following criteria must be satisfied in order to qualify for the subsidy:
The applicant must be:

  • A citizen of Trinidad and Tobago.
  • In possession of residential land.
  • Constructing or purchasing a home for the first time.
  • In possession of all necessary building approvals.
The total household income of all persons living in the home must fall within ONE of the two income brackets below:
  • TT$24,000.00 to TT$40,000.00 per annum.
  • TT$40,001.00 to TT$65,000.00 per annum.

The applicant must be able to show proof of land ownership by providing a Certificate of Title in the applicant's name.

back to top

How do I apply?

Persons seeking assistance through the Beneficiary Owned Land Programme can submit an application to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development by:

  • Downloading an application form for the Beneficiary Owned Land Subsidy by following the link at the bottom of this section.
  • Clipping or photocopying an application form from the newspaper.
  • Obtaining an application form from the offices or agencies of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development listed below.  All completed application forms can be deposited at these offices between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
44-46 South Quay
Port of Spain
Tel. (868) 623-HOME (4663)

The Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation (Sub-Office)
McGillvary Street
Mon Repos, San Fernando
Tel. (868) 652-3116

Sugar Industry Labour Welfare Committee (SILWIC)
Corner Dove and Balisier Avenues
Tel. (868) 636-2772

Tobago House of Assembly
Settlements Division
2nd Floor, Ansa Mc AL Building
Milford Road

Tel. (868) 639-6800

Beneficiary Owned Land Subsidy Application Form

back to top

When can I apply?

Application cycles are run throughout the year, during which applications can be submitted. At the beginning of each cycle, a notice is published in the daily newspapers. Each month a computerised draw is performed where applicants meeting the set criteria are randomly selected.

back to top

What documents do I need?

Successful applicants are contacted and an appointment is scheduled for an interview with a representative from the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.  Applicants are required to submit the original and one copy of each of the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate of the applicant.
  • ID Card or Passport of the applicant.
  • Evidence of citizenship (where applicable).
  • Marriage Certificate (where applicable).
  • Title Deed, Deed of Lease or any other proof of ownership.
  • Recent pay slip and job letter (or an affidavit attesting to income for self employed and other persons).
  • Quotation for construction.
  • Affidavit stating you do not own any other property for dwelling purposes.
  • Approved plans for home construction (i.e. approved plans and building permits).
The length of time before an applicant is contacted varies and depends on the number of applications received.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For further information, please contact:

Programme Coordinating and Monitoring Unit
Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
44-46 South Quay
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 623-HOME (4663) ext. 2094 or 2227 (2225 or 2229 for Home Improvement Grants) Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays

back to top