Emergency Housing Repair Grant

The Housing Repair Grant is provided for the emergency repair or completion of a house. The grant provides a maximum of TT$5000.00 to purchase building materials.


This grant is only available once to an individual.

Am I eligible?

To qualify for this grant you must be:

  • A client of the Ministry of Social Development and Family Servicesor other person in need of assistance.
  • A victim of a natural disaster, such as a fire, flood or hurricane.

back to top

How do I apply?

You must visit the Social Welfare Division office in your district and speak to an officer.  Follow the link below for a list of office locations.  The officer will fill out an application form and your application will be reviewed.  A site visit will also be conducted by an assessment officer.


Social Welfare Division Offices


back to top

What documents do I need?

  • Documentary evidence of security of tenure such as a deed of land ownership, land rent and/or land tax receipt, a letter of comfort from the Housing Development Corporation (HDC), or a letter from a bona fide landlord.
  • Permission from your landlord to repair or rebuild (if applicable).
  • Approval from Building Inspector to repair or rebuild.  Follow the link at the end of this section for information on how to obtain approval.
  • Documentary evidence of arrangements for labour.
  • Estimate of materials from a carpenter or builder.
  • Estimated cost of materials from a supplier willing to accept a Government invoice order.
  • Any other relevant documents requested by the social welfare officer.


Development Planning and Control


back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information on how to apply for this grant and the eligibility criteria, please contact the Social Welfare Division office in your district.


Social Welfare Division Offices


back to top