Squatter Regularisation

The Land Settlement Agency (LSA) has been mandated to regularise and deliver security of tenure to families who were in unauthorised occupation of State land prior to January 1st 1998, and to contain further squatting on State land in Trinidad and Tobago.

Please note that no new applications for regularisation are being accepted, only those who applied before October 27th 2000 will be considered.

The squatter regularisation programme seeks to improve the living conditions of eligible squatters by upgrading or establishing physical infrastructure such as roads and drainage, along with the provision of services such as potable water and electricity. These works are performed in accordance with standards established by the Statutory Planning Authorities.

Am I eligible?

To qualify for regularisation, you must:

  • Have submitted an application form prior to October 27th, 2000
  • Have been squatting on State land before January 1st 1998
  • Be in occupation of a single dwelling unit situated on a plot of State Land no less than 3,500sq.ft and no more than 5,000sq.ft

back to top

What is the status of my application?

You may visit the LSA office to enquire about the status of your application and to provide additional information, as requested by the LSA.

Regularisation and upgrade of squatter sites are completed on a "site by site" basis.  Applicants are contacted once their site has been selected for regularisation.

All persons who have applied to be regularised must submit:

  • Originals of two references
  • Photocopies of other documentary evidence
  • Bills showing materials purchased to build the house
  • T&TEC Bill
  • WASA Bill
  • TSTT Bill
  • Cable Bill
  • Land & Building Tax Receipts.
  • Any other documents (such as letters, bills, etc.) which support a claim to occupation before the appointed day

back to top

Office Locations

The offices of the LSA are located at the following locations:

Head Office
Land Settlement Agency
Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation
#44-46 South Quay
Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 623-4663 (HOME) Ext. 3120
Fax: (868) 627-4489

Land Settlement Agency
Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation Building
No. 2 Mc Gillivary Street
Mon Repos
San Fernando
Tel: (868) 653-9331
Tel: (868) 652-3116

Land Settlement Agency
Orange Grove Road South
Orange Grove Estate
Tel: (868) 623-4663 Ext. 3100 or (868) 640-6816/9363

Land Settlement Agency
Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation
Corner Flamingo Building and Southern Main Road
Tel: (868) 623-4663 Ext. 3353/4

Land Settlement Agency
Petrotrin's Administration Building
Trinmar Administrative Building
Guapo Road
Point Fortin
Tel: (868) 648-5822

Land Settlement Agency
#1 Factory Road
Ste. Madeleine
Tel: (868) 623-4663 Ext. 3351/2 or (868) 299-4096

Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.

back to top

Where can I find more information?

For more information, please visit the LSA website by following the link below, or call (868) 623-4663 (HOME) ext. 3100, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.


Land Settlement Agency

back to top