Applying to Rent a Government House

The Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation (HDC) provides affordable rental units to eligible low and middle income citizens.  This service targets citizens who do not own land or housing and do not qualify for a mortgage.  If you find it difficult to obtain affordable rental accommodation, you may be able to benefit from the HDC rental housing program.

Rental units are made available to the public either through the construction of new housing or through the recovery of housing units due to arrears in payments, abandonment or relinquishment.

Do I qualify?

To qualify for rental accommodation, you must be:

  • A citizen or legal resident of Trinidad and Tobago
  • Twenty one years of age or over
  • Neither an owner or part owner of a house or land
  • In possession of a Board of Inland Revenue tax file number
  • Able to provide evidence of a reliable source of income

back to top

How do I apply?

Applicants can submit an application using the following methods:

  • Complete the online application form.  Please review the instruction manual for assistance. The online application and user manual are available by following the links below
  • Apply in person at one of the HDC's sub offices.  Follow the link below for HDC office locations

Online Application for a New Home
Ministry of Housing and Urban Development Information

back to top

What happens next?

Applicants are selected for an interview using a random computerised selection system whenever rental units become available.  Once selected, the applicant will be interviewed by a representative from the HDC who analyses the applicant's needs and makes a recommendation based on the information collected.

Applicants will be contacted via letter or telephone when a unit becomes available.  Successful applicants are issued an approval letter and invited to sign a Tenancy Agreement. Once the agreement has been signed, payment of one month's rent in advance is required before tenancy can begin.

back to top

What information do I need to provide?

To submit an application for rental accommodation, one of the following forms of identification must be provided (along with the information requested on the form):

  • National Identification (ID) card
  • Passport
  • Driver's Permit

Those who apply online must bring valid ID when contacted for an interview.

If the applicant is selected for an interview, the following documents must be submitted:

  • Originals and photocopies of identification cards of all applicants, and where applicable, other members of the household
  • Originals and photocopies of birth certificates of all members of the household
  • Original and photocopy of marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • A sworn affidavit indicating that the applicant does not own a house or land
  • Original job letters for the applicant and co-applicant (where applicable)
  • Self employed individuals must provide bank statements for the previous three months


back to top

Where can I find more information?

For further information, please contact the Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation at (868) 623-HOME (4663) ext. 5517 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday except public holidays.

back to top